Investing in Coastal Ecosystem Resiliency Investing in habitat restoration and ecosystem resiliency projects provides sustainable and lasting benefits that reduce risks posed to coastal communities from extreme weather events, changing environmental conditions, and known or potential climate change impacts. NOAA is dedicated to providing tools and resources that enhance resiliency, and has developed the Coastal Ecosystem Resiliency Grants Program to build resilience of coastal ecosystems and communities in the U.S. The Coastal Ecosystem Resiliency Grants Program will fund projects that develop healthy and sustainable coastal ecosystems through habitat restoration and conservation. NOAA is announcing the availability of up to $8.5 million in Coastal Ecosystem Resiliency grant funding for project awards in 2016.
Through this funding opportunity, NOAA is seeking project proposals from non-federal partners to implement habitat restoration actions that will restore coastal ecosystems and improve resiliency. The primary focus of this grants program is to develop healthy and sustainable coastal ecosystems through on-the-ground habitat restoration actions. Priority will be given to projects that:
- restore habitat to support healthy fish populations and provide ecosystem functions that reduce hazards and risks associated with extreme weather events and a changing climate;
- provide sustainable and lasting ecological benefits and resiliency to extreme weather events, a changing climate, and allow for adaptation to known or potential climate change impacts;
- implement on-the-ground restoration actions that result in immediate beneficial impacts;
- demonstrate collaboration among multiple stakeholders through projects that implement ecosystem-based restoration recommendations and site-specific strategies outlined in existing coastal vulnerability or resiliency studies and comprehensive planning efforts;
- receive approval from the state governor; and result in socioeconomic benefits associated with restoration of healthy and resilient coastal ecosystems.
Important Funding Notices
- Federal Funding Opportunity (pdf, 101 KB)
- Application on Grants.gov
- Application Checklist
- Applicant Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Applications are due by August 16, 2016.
Categories: Funding Opportunities